Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art
|Description||Decorative view of Varna , the third largest city in Bulgaria and the largest city and seaside resort on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast.|
A major port, agricultural, trade and shipbuilding centre for the Ottoman Empire in the 16th and 17th centuries, preserving a significant and economically active Bulgarian population, Varna was later made one of the Quadrilateral Fortresses (along with Rousse, Shumen, and Silistra) severing Dobruja from the rest of Bulgaria and containing Russia in the Russo-Turkish wars. The Russians temporarily took over in 1773 and again in 1828, following the prolonged Siege of Varna, returning it to the Ottomans two years later after the medieval fortress was razed. In the early 19th century, many local Greeks joined the patriotic organisation Filiki Eteria. Αt the outbreak of the Greek War of Independence (1821) revolutionary activity was recorded in Varna. As a result local notables that participated in the Greek national movement were executed by the Ottoman authorities, while others managed to escape to Greece and continue their struggle. The British and French campaigning against Russia in the Crimean War (1854–1856) used Varna as headquarters and principal naval base. In 1878, the city, which numbered 26 thousand inhabitants, was given to Bulgaria by the Russian troops.
|Place of Publication||London|
|Dimensions (cm)||14 x 19,5|
( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )