Dept. de L´Yonne

  • Translation

Article ID EUF2471

Title

Dept. de L´Yonne

Description

Map shows the area and city of Auxerre in Burgund, beautiful sourrounded by typical scenes of natives and manner

Year

ca. 1850

Artist

Lemercier / Levasseur (1800-1870)

Cadastre of the War and Bridge Department by V. Levasseur, Geographer Engineer attached to the Cadastre and the City of Paris. Huge Parisian firm of lithographic printers founded by Joseph Rose Lemercier (1803-1887), who began as the foreman for Langlumé in 1825. Working on his own account from 1827, 1829-36 in partnership with Bénard association formed in 1837 according to IFF catalogue for Joseph Lemercier. The firm was still active in 1841.

Historical Description

The present region was already inhabited by people in the Paleolithic Age. The Duchy of Burgundy was ruled by a side line of the French royal house, the Capetians, from 1032 to 1361. It passed to Philip of Valois in 1363, who founded the House of Burgundy as a collateral line of the French royal house of Valois. The duchy was dissolved after the French Revolution in the course of the division of the state into departments in 1790; with it disappeared the name Burgundy for a political-administrative unit.

Place of Publication Paris
Dimensions (cm)29,5 x 41
ConditionVery good
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueSteel engraving

Reproduction:

12.75 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )