Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art

St. Andrew’s Church, Singapore.

  • Translation

Article ID ASS1282
Artist Anonymus
Title St. Andrew’s Church, Singapore.
Year c. 1866
Description View shows St. Andrew’s Cathedral in Singapore. It was named after the patron saint of Scotland and is in the center of Singapore.
The first records of Singapore come from Chinese texts of the 3rd century. The island served as the outpost of Srivijayareiches, which is native to Sumatra. Singapore originally had the Javanese name Temasek. In January 1819 Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, sales representative of the British East India Company, came to Singapore and founded the first British branch a month later in the same year. Therefore, he is considered the founder of modern Singapore. The island was previously populated by only 20 Malay fishing families and a hidawy for pirates. In 1867, the colonies in East Asia were reorganised and Singapore came under the direct control of Britain as part of the Straits Settlements. During the Second World War, Singapore was occupied by Japan in 1942 but returned to British control as a separate crown colony following Japan's surrender in 1945. Singapore gained self-governance in 1959, and in 1963 became part of the new federation of Malaysia, alongside Malaya, North Borneo, and Sarawak. Ideological differences led to Singapore being expelled from the federation two years later, thereby becoming an independent country.
Place of Publication London
Dimensions (cm)13 x 16,5 cm
ConditionPerfect condition
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueWood engraving

Reproduction:

16.50 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )