Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art

Frankfort (Frankfurt) (Am Mayn)

  • Translation

Article ID EUD4371
Artist Chapman & Hall (1830-)
Founded in 1830, Chapman & Hall Ltd. until the end of the 1980s, until he was imprinted at the Canadian Thomson Corporation and was sold to the American CRC Press in 1998. Since then, CRC Press has published scientific publications under the name Chapman & Hall. The writer Charles Dickens was one of the publisher's best-known authors. Chapman & Hall was founded in 1830 by the entrepreneurs Edward Chapman (1804-1880) and William Hall (probably 1801-1847) initially as a bookstore with an attached printing company. The bookshop was initially in London's Strand No. 186, then from 1851 in Piccadilly No. 193. In 1836 the publisher signed the then unknown Charles Dickens and published his first work Die Pickwickier; the story, like most of Dickens' later works, first appeared as a sequel, then in the following year as a complete edition. After William Hall's death in 1847, Edward Chapman's cousin Frederic Chapman became a new partner in the publishing house and eventually led him alone from 1864 after Edward Chapman retired. Four years later, the author Anthony Trollope, whose books Chapman & Hall himself published at that time, acquired a third of the company shares for his son Henry Merivale.
Title Frankfort (Frankfurt) (Am Mayn)
Year c. 1837
Description City map of Frankfurt am Main in Hesse. Below is a magnificent general view of Frankfurt at the river Main.
Frankfurt am Main was first mentioned on 794 in a document by Charlemagne for the St. Emmeram monastery in Regensburg. A settlement of the cathedral hill has already been proven for the Neolithic period. As a result, a Roman military camp and a Franconian royal court were probably built at the same location.The Golden Bull of 1356 confirmed Frankfurt from 1356 as the permanent electoral city of the Roman kings, after most of the royal elections had taken place here since 1147. From 1562 the imperial coronations also took place in Frankfurt, most recently in 1792 that of the Habsburg Franz II.In 1742 Frankfurt became a residence for almost three years. Since Emperor Charles VII, who came from the House of Wittelsbach, could not return to his homeland, the Electorate of Bavaria occupied by Habsburg troops, after his coronation, he was forced to live in the Barckhaus an der Zeil until October 1744. With the end of the Old Reich, the sovereignty of Frankfurt as an imperial city also ended. In 1806 it fell under the rule of Prince Theodor von Dalberg, who united it with the Principality of Regensburg and the Principality of Aschaffenburg as well as the Imperial City of Wetzlar to form an independent state within the Confederation of the Rhine, the state of the Prince. In 1810 Dalberg ceded the Principality of Regensburg to Bavaria, received the Principality of Hanau and the Principality of Fulda, and became Grand Duke of Frankfurt. With the collapse of the Napoleonic system, Dalberg abdicated as Grand Duke of Frankfurt in 1813. In 1813 the independence of the city and its territory was restored and its imperial city constitution was reinstated. The previous prefect Friedrich Maximilian von Günderrode took over the provisional management of the administration as the city school hotline. At the Vienna Congress, the Kingdom of Bavaria planned to annex Frankfurt, but on June 8, 1815 the Congress decided to restore Frankfurt as a free city within the German Confederation. Along with Hamburg, Bremen and Lübeck, it was one of four free cities that were able to maintain their traditional urban freedom up to the modern era.
Place of Publication London
Dimensions (cm)31 x 38 cm
ConditionPerfect condition
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueSteel engraving

Reproduction:

43.50 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )