Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art

Die Allerheiligenkirche in Muenchen

  • Translation

Article ID EUD2497
Artist Höfer
Title Die Allerheiligenkirche in Muenchen
Year ca. 1850
Description View of the Holy Church at the Residenz in Munich
Munich- Munchen, the name of the city is derived from the Old/Middle High German term Munichen, meaning "by the monks". It derives from the monks of the Benedictine order who ran a monastery at the place that was later to become the Old Town of Munich; hence the monk depicted on the city's coat of arms. Munich was first mentioned in 1158. From 1255 the city was seat of the Bavarian Dukes. Black and gold — the colours of the Holy Roman Empire — have been the city's official colours since the time of Ludwig the Bavarian, when it was an imperial residence. Following a final reunification of the Wittelsbachian Duchy of Bavaria, previously divided and sub-divided for more than 200 years, the town became the country's sole capital in 1506. Catholic Munich was a cultural stronghold of the Counter-Reformation and a political point of divergence during the resulting Thirty Years' War, but remained physically untouched despite an occupation by the Protestant Swedes; as the townsfolk would rather open the gates of their town than risk siege and almost inevitable destruction. Like wide parts of the Holy Roman Empire, the area recovered slowly economically. Having evolved from a duchy's capital into that of an electorate (1623), and later a sovereign kingdom (1806), Munich has been a centre of arts, culture and science since the early 19th century.
Dimensions (cm)11 x 15
ConditionVery good
Coloringcolored
TechniqueSteel engraving

Reproduction:

14.25 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )