Der Kreml in Moscau

  • Translation

Article ID EUO2278

Title

Der Kreml in Moscau

Description

Very fine hand-coloured view of the Moscow Kremlin, with staffage figures in the foreground. Engraved by H. Herzer.

Year

ca. 1845

Artist

Kunstanstalt Hildburghausen (1828-1874)

The German publishing company Bibliographisches Institut was founded 1826 in Gotha by Joseph Meyer, moved 1828 to Hildburghausen and 1874 to Leipzig. Its production over the years includes such well-known titles as Meyers Lexikon.

Historical Description

The site has been continuously inhabited by Finno-Ugric peoples since the 2nd century BC. The Slavs occupied the south-western portion of Borovitsky Hill as early as the 11th century, as evidenced by a metropolitan seal from the 1090s which was unearthed by Soviet archaeologists in the area. Vyatichi built a fortified structure (or ;grad;) on the hill where the Neglinnaya River flowed into the Moskva River. The Moscow Kremlin usually referred to as the Kremlin, is a fortified complex at the heart of Moscow, overlooking the Moskva River to the south, Saint Basil's Cathedral and Red Square to the east, and the Alexander Gardento the west. It is the best known of the kremlins (Russian citadels) and includes five palaces, four cathedrals, and the enclosing Kremlin Wall with Kremlin towers. Also within this complex is the Grand Kremlin Palace that was formerly the tsar's Moscow residence. The complex serves as the official residence of the President of the Russian Federation.

Place of Publication Hildburghausen
Dimensions (cm)9 x 16 cm
ConditionMargin outside slightly spotted
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueSteel engraving