Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art
|Artist||Insitut Cartografic "Unirea"|
Decorative and very detailed city amp of Bucharesti. Showing the tram ways and all their stations in the city.
Bucharest is the capital and largest city of Romania, as well as its cultural, industrial, and financial centre. Bucharest's history alternated periods of development and decline from the early settlements in antiquity until its consolidation as the national capital of Romania late in the 19th century. First mentioned as the "Citadel of București" in 1459, it became the residence of the famous Wallachian prince Vlad III the Impaler. The Ottomans appointed Greek administrators (Phanariotes) to run the town from the 18th century. A short-lived revolt initiated by Tudor Vladimirescu in 1821 led to the end of the rule of Constantinople Greeks in Bucharest. Bucharest finally became the permanent location of the Wallachian court after 1698. In 1862, after Wallachia and Moldavia were united to form the Principality of Romania, Bucharest became the new nation's capital city. The oldes city park is the Cișmigiu Garden or Cișmigiu Park The park was built in 1847, at a time when Bucharest was the capital of Wallachia. A part of the present-day gardens was occupied by a vineyard, which was planted around a water source. The word cișmigiu comes from Turkish: a Ceșme is a public fountain and a cișmigiu used to be the person responsible for building and maintaining public fountains.
|Place of Publication||Brașov|
|Dimensions (cm)||55 x 49,5 cm|
( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )