Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art

Wahre contrafehtung der Reichstatt Landaw wie sie zu unsern zeiten in der Mawren steht

  • Translation

Article ID EUD2881
Artist Münster (1489-1552)
Sebastian Münster (1488 – 1552) belongs to the very important Comographers of the Renaicance. He issued his first famous Cosmographia in 1544 with 24 double paged maps with German description of the world. It had numerous editions in different languages including Latin, French, Italian, English, and Czech. The last German edition was published in 1628, long after his death. The Cosmographia was one of the most successful and popular books of the 16th century. It passed through 24 editions in 100 years. This success was due to the notable woodcuts , some by Hans Holbein the Younger, Urs Graf, Hans Rudolph Deutsch, and David Kandel. It was most important in reviving geography in 16th-century Europe. His first geographic works were Germania descriptio (1530) and Mappa Europae (1536). In 1540 he published a Latin edition of Ptolemy's Geographia with illustrations. The 1550 edition contains cities, portraits, and costumes. These editions, printed in Germany, are the most valued of the Cosmographias.
Title Wahre contrafehtung der Reichstatt Landaw wie sie zu unsern zeiten in der Mawren steht
Year ca. 1550
Description Map shows the city of Landau from a bird's eye view.
Landau was founded around 1260 by Count Emich IV von Leiningen-Landeck. This had an upstream fortification built as additional protection for his Landeck castle. In 1274 Landau received city rights from King Rudolf I of Habsburg. As a result of the Peace of Westphalia, large parts of Alsace came to France in 1648. Landau and the other cities in Alsace remained formally German, but were abandoned by the Reich. In the War of the Spanish Succession, the French fortress Landau changed hands several times after extensive sieges. In 1702 the Imperial troops replaced the French, in 1703 the French recovered Landau after the Battle of Speyerbach, in 1704 Landau became imperial again. In 1814, after the first victory in the liberation war over Napoléon Bonaparte, Landau remained French for the time being. Due to the agreements in the Second Paris Peace of November 1815, the area north of the Lauter and Landau came under the sovereignty of Austria. In April 1816, the entire Palatinate was ceded from Austria to the Kingdom of Bavaria in a treaty.
Place of Publication Basle
Dimensions (cm)27 x 38
ConditionUpper centerfold missing part restored
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueWood engraving

Reproduction:

48.00 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )