Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art

Theatrum Urbium. Landshut.

  • Translation

Article ID EUD4551
Artist Saur (1545-1593)
Abraham Saur was a German lawyer and historian He was author of several legal boosk, also of the city book "Theatrum Urbium".
Title Theatrum Urbium. Landshut.
Year ca. 1595
Description View shows the city of Landshut on the Isar in Lower Bavaria. From the book "Theatrum Urbium, Warhafftige Contrafehtung und summarische Beschreibung/vast aller Vornehmen und Namhafftigen Stätten/Schlössern und Klöster".
The city of Landshut and Trausnitz castle were founded in 1204 by Duke Louis I. Landshut was already a Wittelsbach residence by 1231, and in 1255, when the duchy of Bavaria was split in two, Landshut also became the capital of Lower Bavaria. Duke Henry XVI was the first of the three famous rich dukes who ruled Bayern-Landshut in the 15th century. The wedding of Duke George with the Polish Princess Royal Jadwiga Jagiellon in 1475 was celebrated in Landshut with one of the most splendid festivals of the Middle Ages (called "Landshuter Hochzeit"). After his death and the Landshut War of Succession, Bavaria-Landshut was reunited with Bavaria-Munich.Louis X, Duke of Bavaria built the Landshut Residence 1537–1543 after his visit to Italy. Louis built the first Renaissance palace constructed north of the Alps after the Palazzo Te in Mantua. William V, Duke of Bavaria ordered to upgrade Trausnitz Castle from a gothic fortification into a renaissance complex when he lived in Landshut as crown prince for ten years until 1579. Afterwards Landshut lost most of its importance until the University of Ingolstadt was moved to Landshut in 1800. But already in 1826 the university was transferred to Munich.In 1634, during the Thirty Years' War, the city was taken and plundered by Swedish forces under the command of Bernard of Saxe-Weimar. Napoleon fought and won the Battle of Landshut in 1809 against an Austrian army as part of the War of the Fifth Coalition.During World War II, a subcamp of Dachau concentration camp was located in the city to provide slave labour for local industry.
Place of Publication Frankfurt on Main
Dimensions (cm)15 x 9 cm
ConditionPerfect condition
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueWoodcut

Reproduction:

39.00 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )