Rugia Insula ac Ducatus

  • Translation

Article ID EUD3689

Title

Rugia Insula ac Ducatus

Description

Map shows the island of Rugia

Year

ca. 1620

Artist

Merian (1593-1650)

Matthäus Merian (1593 – 1650) , born in Basel, learned the art of copperplate engraving in Zurich and subsequently worked and studied in Strasbourg, Nancy, and Paris, before returning to Basel in 1615. The following year he moved to Frankfurt, Germany where he worked for the publisher Johann Theodor de Bry. He married his daughter, Maria Magdalena 1617. In 1620 they moved back to Basel, only to return three years later to Frankfurt, where Merian took over the publishing house of his father-in-law after de Bry's death in 1623. In 1626 he became a citizen of Frankfurt and could henceforth work as an independent publisher. He is the father of Maria Sibylla Merian, who later published her the famous and wellknown studies of flowers, insects and butterflies.

Historical Description

The name Mecklenburg ("Mikelenburg") appears for the first time in a document from the year 995. At that time it referred to the Slavic castle Mecklenburg (Wiligrad) in today's village of Mecklenburg near Wismar and means something like "Great Castle". The history of Mecklenburg encompasses developments in the German region of Mecklenburg from prehistory to the present. It begins with the first post-glacial settlement from around 10,000 BC. A. These hunters, fishermen and gatherers were followed by rural cultures in the 4th millennium. In the early Middle Ages Mecklenburg was settled by Slavs and the permanent incorporation of Mecklenburg into the Holy Roman Empire began, which was only interrupted by the period of Danish occupation from 1180 to 1227. From 1200, German settlers from Westphalia, Lower Saxony, Friesland and Holstein moved into the country. The bull's head appears for the first time as the Mecklenburg coat of arms around 1219. In the high Middle Ages, Mecklenburg was under the influence of the Hanseatic League. After the German Hanseatic League was established under the leadership of Lübeck at the end of the 13th century, the Mecklenburg cities of Rostock and Wismar soon joined the powerful trade alliance. Between 1628 and 1630 the Obotrite dukes were deposed by Emperor Ferdinand II during the Thirty Years' War and his general Wallenstein was enfeoffed with Mecklenburg. In 1713 there was a conflict between Duke Karl Leopold, the regent of the Schwerin region, and the Mecklenburg estates, which lasted until 1717. After complaints from the Mecklenburg estates before the emperor against Karl Leopold's breaches of law and autocratic efforts, Emperor Karl VI. In 1717 the execution of the empire was imposed on the duke. As a long-term consequence of the execution of the empire, larger areas in the Mecklenburg-Schwerin part of the state were lost by pledging eight offices to the elector of Hanover and four offices to the Prussian king. After a long struggle, Christian Ludwig II concluded with the estates in 1755 the Land constitutional inheritance settlement, which was subsequently ratified by Adolf Friedrich IV. And his mother. This hereditary comparison led to the further consolidation of the power of the Mecklenburg knighthood and preserved the backwardness of the country until the end of the monarchy in Mecklenburg (1918). The state of Mecklenburg was thus a principality until 1918 and was ruled by the same ruling family, the Obodrites, with only a two-year break from its incorporation into the Holy Roman Empire until 1918. Today Mecklenburg forms the western two thirds of the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. The history of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania as a political unit begins in 1945 with the unification of the state of Mecklenburg (the historical parts of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Mecklenburg-Strelitz) with the part of Western Pomerania that remained with Germany (excluding Stettin). The regions of the country had previously had a largely independent history for centuries. In the course of an administrative reform in the GDR, the country was dissolved in 1952 and divided into three districts (Rostock, Schwerin, Neubrandenburg). The state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania was re-established in 1990 with a new regional structure and with reunification became a state of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Place of Publication Frankfurt on Main
Dimensions (cm)27,5 x 36
ConditionPerfect condition
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueCopper print

Reproduction:

60.00 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )