Total view of Regensburg
Frans Hogenberg (1535 – 1590) was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. Hogenberg was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg In 1568 he was banned from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva. He travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. He is known for portraits and topographical views as well as historical allegories. He also produced scenes of contemporary historical events. George Braun (1541-1622), a cleric of Cologne, was the principal editor of the "Civitates Orbis Terrarum". The first volume of the Civitates Orbis Terrarum was published in Cologne in 1572. The sixth and the final volume appeared in 1617. This great city atlas, edited by Georg Braun and largely engraved by Franz Hogenberg, eventually contained 546 prospects, bird-eye views and map views of cities from all over the world. Braun (1541-1622), a cleric of Cologne, was the principal editor of the work, and was greatly assisted in his project by the close, and continued interest of Abraham Ortelius, whose Theatrum Orbis Terrarum of 1570 was, as a systematic and comprehensive collection of maps of uniform style, the first true atlas.
Regensburg can prove an early first mention by the Emperor Marcus Aurelius with the establishment of a Roman camp in 179. The Roman history of Regensburg begins around 79 AD with the establishment of the cohort fort Kumpfmühl in the area of today's district Kumpfmühl-Ziegetsdorf-Neuprüll. From about 500 to 788, Regensburg was the headquarters of the Dukes of Bavaria from the Agilolfing dynasty. Regensburg became an important center of the early Bavarian tribal duchy. Regensburg is one of the oldest bishoprics in Germany, which had already existed for several decades when it was placed under canon law and thus under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Rome by Boniface in 739. In the 9th century Regensburg was one of the most important cities of the East Frankish Carolingian Empire. The Bavarian dukes of the Wittelsbach dynasty residing in the city could not stop the city's development towards independence due to internal conflicts after the Bavarian division of land in 1255. They gave up their residence in Regensburg at the Kornmarkt, left Regensburg and moved to Landshut in 1259. Probably around 1273, the construction of Regensburg's St. Peter's Cathedral began. Together with the Stone Bridge, the cathedral is the city's landmark. From 1293, construction also began on the medieval city wall with seven new city gate towers, which incorporated the new suburbs to the west and east and several churches and monasteries into the city area.
|Place of Publication||Cologne|
|Dimensions (cm)||34 x 48|
|Condition||Tear in the centerfold perfectly restored|
( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )