Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art
|Johann Babtiste Homann (1664-1724), Nuremberg, was born in Oberkammlach, the Electorate of Bavaria. Although educated at a Jesuit school, and preparing for an ecclesiastical career, he eventually converted to Protestantism and from 1687 worked as a civil law notary in Nuremberg. He soon turned to engraving and cartography; in 1702 he founded his own publishing house. Homann acquired renown as a leading German cartographer, and in 1715 was appointed Imperial Geographer by Emperor Charles VI. Giving such privileges to individuals was an added right that the Holy Roman Emperor enjoyed. In the same year he was also named a member of the Prussian Academy of Sciences in Berlin. Of particular significance to cartography were the imperial printing privileges (Latin: privilegia impressoria). These protected for a time the authors in all scientific fields such as printers, copper engravers, map makers and publishers. They were also very important as a recommendation for potential customers. In 1716 Homann published his masterpiece Grosser Atlas ueber die ganze Welt (Grand Atlas of all the World). Numerous maps were drawn up in cooperation with the engraver Christoph Weigel the Elder, who also published Siebmachers Wappenbuch. Homann died in Nuremberg. He was succeeded by the Homann heirs company, which was in business until 1848. The company was known as Homann Erben, Homanniani Heredes, or Heritiers de Homann abroad.|
Map of Mindelheim, a total view of Mindelheim and 2 beautiful cartouches.
Mindelheim is a town in Swabia, Bavaria, Germany. n 1365, the Dukes of Teck-Owen came into the possession of Mindelheim but had to sell their heritage around the castle Teck to the Counts of Württemberg. The last member of that line, Louis of Teck, Patriarch of Aquileia since 1412, died in 1439. On 18 November 1705, John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough was made Prince of Mindelheim by Joseph I, Holy Roman Emperor. Marlborough was invested at an Imperial Diet in Innsbruck on the 24 May 1706. Mindelheim had been bought by an Elector of Bavaria in the 16th century. It was confiscated from Elector Max Emmanuel in 1704 for his treachery, and effectively occupied after the Battle of Blenheim. The King of Prussia, through his representative the prince of Anhalt-Dessau, moved that the title should descend successively to all the heirs of Marlborough’s body. But the princes were opposed. The lack of a male heir would prevent the Churchills becoming hereditary princes of the empire, and was essential to their agreement. Thus no special remainder was provided. Marlborough visited Mindelheim in late May 1713, receiving princely honours from his subjects. But the fate of the principality, and of Marlborough's effective territorial sovereignty, depended upon the ultimate peace treaty. Mindelheim was lost 1714 to the Elector of Bavaria under the Treaty of Utrecht.
|Place of Publication||Nuremberg|
|Dimensions (cm)||49 x 58|
( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )