Plan von München 1844.

  • Translation

Article ID EUD3095


Plan von München 1844.


Striking bird's eye view of Munich with ten small partial views showing: Frauenkirche, Neue Pfarrkirche in Au, Glyptothek, Pinakothek, Königsbau am Hofgarten, Hoftheather, Königsbau, Allerheiligenkapelle, Prostetantische Kirche, Ludwigskirche. Of Meyer's Großer Hand-Atlas (1843-1860)


ca. 1844


Meyer (1796-1856)

Carl Joseph Meyer was a German publisher and founder of the Bibliographical Institute. The birth of life had inspired Meyer to own a personal publishing company. On August 1, 1826, the Bibliographical Institute in Gotha became interests. In 1826 he published the library of German classics (150 volumes). Shortly afterwards after a confirmed series of atlases. Meyer was one of the first publishers in Germany to regulate his books using the subscription process. Headquarters of the Bibliographical Institute in Hildburghausen 1828–1874 Meyer soon insists that the company in Gotha was too small for its rambling activities. He planned the actual publishing house to operate with a printing and bookbinding shop and property and after himself according to the following. The merchant Johann Erdmann Scheller from Hildburghausen, who had offered to be a partner, negotiated with the Duke of Saxony-Meiningen and his government. The Bibliographical Institute moved to Hildburghausen in December 1828 and moved into the last so-called Brunnquellsche Palais. Meyer moved the cabinet library and the miniature library of the German classics here. This is where the third edition of the cheapest classic books in the years 1848–1854 is a definite new edition, its political significance under the perception of the bourgeois-religious revolution of 1848/49 cannot be dismissed out of hand.

Historical Description

Munich- Munchen, the name of the city is derived from the Old/Middle High German term Munichen, meaning "by the monks". It derives from the monks of the Benedictine order who ran a monastery at the place that was later to become the Old Town of Munich; hence the monk depicted on the city's coat of arms. Munich was first mentioned in 1158. From 1255 the city was seat of the Bavarian Dukes. Black and gold — the colours of the Holy Roman Empire — have been the city's official colours since the time of Ludwig the Bavarian, when it was an imperial residence. Following a final reunification of the Wittelsbachian Duchy of Bavaria, previously divided and sub-divided for more than 200 years, the town became the country's sole capital in 1506. Catholic Munich was a cultural stronghold of the Counter-Reformation and a political point of divergence during the resulting Thirty Years' War, but remained physically untouched despite an occupation by the Protestant Swedes; as the townsfolk would rather open the gates of their town than risk siege and almost inevitable destruction. Like wide parts of the Holy Roman Empire, the area recovered slowly economically. Having evolved from a duchy's capital into that of an electorate (1623), and later a sovereign kingdom (1806), Munich has been a centre of arts, culture and science since the early 19th century.

Place of Publication Hildburghausen
Dimensions (cm)35 x 41
ConditionVery good
TechniqueSteel engraving


43.50 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )