Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art

Dresden an der Elb, ein Haupt- Stadt des Obern Sachsen, u: Höchst vortreffliche Residentz des dasingen Churfürsten u Königs in Pohlen

  • Translation

Article ID EUD2503
Artist Seutter (1678-1757)
Matthias Seutter (1678- 1757) Augsburg was the son of a goldsmith in Augsburg. In 1697, Seutter began his studies in Nuremberg and subsequently worked in the publishing house of Jeremias Wolff in Augsburg. In 1710, he established his own publishing house and print shop. The Seutter publishing house produced a great number of maps, atlases, and globes. However, very few original maps were printed there, as Augsburg at that time had no university and no connection to the fields of mathematics or the natural sciences. Seutter therefore copied the work of other cartographers, making his own engravings based on their models. Over 500 maps were produced in his studio. Seutter's most well-known works are the 1725 "Geographical Atlas or an Accurate Depiction of the Whole World" ("Atlas Geographicus oder Accurate Vorstellung der ganzen Welt") with 46 maps, the 1734 "Large Atlas" ("Grosser Atlas") with 131 maps, and the 1744 pocket atlas "Small Atlas" ("Atlas minor") with 64 maps. Matthäus Seutter died in 1757. Seutter's son Albrecht Karl, his son-in-law Conrad Tobias Lotter, and his business partner Johann Michael Probst ran the printing business for five more years.
Title Dresden an der Elb, ein Haupt- Stadt des Obern Sachsen, u: Höchst vortreffliche Residentz des dasingen Churfürsten u Königs in Pohlen
Year ca. 1730
Description Map shows the citsy map and a total view as bird´s eye view of Dresden in Saxony with index of the map.
Saxony-Wittenberg, in modern Saxony-Anhalt, became subject to the margravate of Meissen, ruled by the Wettin dynasty in 1423. This established a new and powerful state, occupying large portions of the present Free State of Saxony, Thuringia, Saxony-Anhalt and Bavaria (Coburg and its environs). Although the centre of this state was far to the southeast of the former Saxony, it came to be referred to as Upper Saxony and then simply Saxony, while the former Saxon territories were now known as Lower Saxony.  In 1485, Saxony was split. A collateral line of the Wettin princes received what later became Thuringia and founded several small states there (see Ernestine duchies). The remaining Saxon state became still more powerful and was known in the 18th century for its cultural achievements, although it was politically weaker than Prussia and Austria, states which oppressed Saxony from the north and south, respectively.
Place of Publication Augsburg
Dimensions (cm)49 x 55,5 cm
ConditionVery good
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueCopper print

Reproduction:

180.00 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )