Die vormalige Frauenkirche in Dresden / Pforta

Article ID EUD1137

Title

Die vormalige Frauenkirche in Dresden / Pforta

Description

View of the city Pforta and the Church of Dresden in Saxony.

Year

ca. 1850

Artist

Meyer (1796-1856)

Carl Joseph Meyer was a German publisher and founder of the Bibliographical Institute. The birth of life had inspired Meyer to own a personal publishing company. On August 1, 1826, the Bibliographical Institute in Gotha became interests. In 1826 he published the library of German classics (150 volumes). Shortly afterwards after a confirmed series of atlases. Meyer was one of the first publishers in Germany to regulate his books using the subscription process. Headquarters of the Bibliographical Institute in Hildburghausen 1828–1874 Meyer soon insists that the company in Gotha was too small for its rambling activities. He planned the actual publishing house to operate with a printing and bookbinding shop and property and after himself according to the following. The merchant Johann Erdmann Scheller from Hildburghausen, who had offered to be a partner, negotiated with the Duke of Saxony-Meiningen and his government. The Bibliographical Institute moved to Hildburghausen in December 1828 and moved into the last so-called Brunnquellsche Palais. Meyer moved the cabinet library and the miniature library of the German classics here. This is where the third edition of the cheapest classic books in the years 1848–1854 is a definite new edition, its political significance under the perception of the bourgeois-religious revolution of 1848/49 cannot be dismissed out of hand.

Historical Description

Saxony-Wittenberg, in modern Saxony-Anhalt, became subject to the margravate of Meissen, ruled by the Wettin dynasty in 1423. This established a new and powerful state, occupying large portions of the present Free State of Saxony, Thuringia, Saxony-Anhalt and Bavaria (Coburg and its environs). Although the centre of this state was far to the southeast of the former Saxony, it came to be referred to as Upper Saxony and then simply Saxony, while the former Saxon territories were now known as Lower Saxony. In 1485, Saxony was split. A collateral line of the Wettin princes received what later became Thuringia and founded several small states there (see Ernestine duchies). The remaining Saxon state became still more powerful and was known in the 18th century for its cultural achievements, although it was politically weaker than Prussia and Austria, states which oppressed Saxony from the north and south, respectively.

Dimensions (cm)23 x 15 cm
ConditionVery good
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueLithography

Reproduction:

13.50 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )