Die Hofmark Menzing / Die Geschichte der Gemeinde Obermenzing

  • Translation

Article ID B0217


Die Hofmark Menzing / Die Geschichte der Gemeinde Obermenzing


Book with 461 pages on the history of the municipality of Obermenzing,( today incorporated in Munich) such as the local history, explanations of ancient terms, the church treasures of the Gothic period and the general history of the municipal area. With a title page of Altobermenzing, pictures from Maria Eich, coat of arms of the Berchem family and the Annunciation window in Blutenburg (colour prints), a self-portrait and 142 plates in black and white (some photographs) including finds of the Celtic Road, local map with index, Bachbauernhof in Pasing with Lorenz Strohmeier (Bachbauer), Obermenzing by Lebschée and Wening and many more.


c. 1927


Schaehle, Studienrat a. D.

Historical Description

The municipality of Obermenzing was settled by hunters, farmers and fishermen in prehistoric times. In 1403 Obermenzing experienced two important events. During the so-called "Munich Civil War", the two mills were burned down by rebellious Munich farmers in order to cut off the water supply to the city of Munich, and the consecration of the church of St. George, now described as a "church", was moved from the Sunday after the feast of St. Lawrence to the Sunday after the feast of the apostles Philip and James. In 1441, Duke Albrecht III acquired Obermenzing and the wood "genant der Laym" from the monastery of Wessobrunn and established the "Hofmark Obermenzing", having already expanded Obermenzing with Blutenburg Castle from 1431 to 1440. In 1676, the Electoral Privy Councillor Anton Freiherr von Berchem took over the Hofmark Obermenzing. In 1818, Obermenzing became an independent municipality with the districts of Blutenburg and Pipping. The municipality of Obermenzing remained rural. In addition to the founding of the volunteer fire department in 1873, the construction of schools and the fire station are particularly noteworthy, some of which still exist as buildings today. In 1866, the English Misses established their own institute in Blutenburg Castle, which they leased and which existed until 1957. At the same time, Obermenzing became a branch of the parish of Pasing, which was newly established in 1881. Both of these developments led to an ever closer connection between Obermenzing and Pasing, so that August Exter built his villa colonies Neupasing I and II on the municipal boundary between Pasing and Obermenzing and soon extended them to Pippinger and Obermenzinger Flur. The associated increase in population resulted in the construction of a schoolhouse in 1902 and the establishment of a railroad stop Obermenzing on Nymphenburger Straße, today's Verdistraße, in 1907. Obermenzing became a prestigious community for members of Munich's educated middle class, civil servants and executives.

Place of Publication Obermenzing
Dimensions (cm)19,5 x 17 cm
ConditionBinding with covered hard cover with gold embossing and view.


57.00 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )