Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art

Colonie Francaises. Martinique. Amerique du sud.

  • Translation

Article ID AMW0671
Artist Lemercier / Levasseur (1838-1875)
Huge Parisian firm of lithographic printers founded by Joseph Rose Lemercier (1803-1887), who began as the foreman for Langlumé in 1825. Working on his own account from 1827, 1829-36 in partnership with Bénard association formed in 1837 according to IFF catalogue for Joseph Lemercier. The firm was still active in 1841.
Title Colonie Francaises. Martinique. Amerique du sud.
Year ca. 1850
Description Map shows the island of Martinique with beautiful representation of flora nad fauna at the border
The island was colonized by France in 1635 by Pierre Belain d’Esnambuc on behalf of the Compagnie des îles d'Amérique founded by Richelieu and has remained in French possession until then, except for three short periods of foreign occupation. With the foundation of the French East India Company by Jean-Baptiste Colbert in 1664, Martinique became the property of the French crown. During the Second Anglo-Dutch War, France was allied with the Netherlands - an English fleet repeatedly attacked French settlements on Martinique and defeated a French squadron at Saint-Pierre on July 6th. In the Third Anglo-Dutch War, in which France was now fighting England against the Netherlands, Martinique was attacked on July 16, 1674 by the fleet of the Dutch admiral Michiel de Ruyter. Thanks to the patronage of Madame de Pompadour, the economist and physiocrat Pierre-Paul Le Mercier de La Rivière was appointed director or governor of Martinique, during the period from 1759 to 1764 he had great economic success there. From 1762 to 1763 Martinique was occupied by the British. In 1763, Joséphine, born de Tascher de la Pagerie, who later became Napoleon's wife, was born in Trois-Îlets near Fort-de-France in Martinique. Her parents ran a sugar cane plantation there, which can still be visited as a museum. From 1787 to 1802 a civil war broke out due to conflicts between plantation owners and traders, there was a slave uprising. In 1794, in the spirit of the French Revolution, the French convention voted for the abolition of slavery. This decision did not last long, however, because Napoleon reintroduced slavery in 1802. On May 22, 1848, slavery was finally abolished. Victor Schoelcher played an important role in this. From then on, Indians and Chinese were employed there due to a shortage of workers on the plantations.
Place of Publication Paris
Dimensions (cm)28 x 42
ConditionVery good
Coloringcolored
TechniqueSteel engraving

Reproduction:

37.50 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )