Closter Diessen.

  • Translation

Article ID EUD4527


Closter Diessen.


Illustration of the Marienmünster in Dießen am Ammersee around 1700 in Bavaria. From the "Chur-Bavarian Atlas".


ca. 1687


Ertl (1654-1715)

Anton Wilhelm Ertl (1654-1715) was a German lawyer and geographer. He was best known as the author and editor of the Kurbayerischer Atlas. Ertl was then first court judge in Rottenbuch, then chief judge of the Steingaden monastery in Wiedergeltingen (1686 at the earliest until 1696 at the latest) and other Swabian towns and from 1705 councilor and joint syndic of the emperor and the imperial knighthood in Swabia. During his time as chief judge in Wiedergeltingen he wrote and published the Kurbayerischer Atlas in two parts in 1687 and 1690, a geographical description of the then Electorate of Bavaria with copperplate engravings by Johann Ulrich Krauss.

Historical Description

Starnberg Castle was created in the early modern period through the reconstruction of the high medieval castle complex of Starnberg (Starnberg district) in Upper Bavaria. The founding of the castle is assigned to the Counts of Andechs-Meranien and dates back to the 11th century. As a fortification, the castle is certainly older due to its strategic location. Starnberg Castle was first mentioned in 1244 as "Starnberch Castrum". The high medieval fortress was possibly built as a counter-castle to the nearby Karlsburg of the Wittelsbach family, which has been preserved as a castle stable a few kilometers north above the Mühltal near Leutstetten. In 1734, a large part of the now baroque palace was destroyed by fire, the remaining buildings slowly fell into disrepair. From 1803 the castle was used as an office building for the rent office and the forest office. 1969 to 1972 the castle was completely gutted and rebuilt.

Place of Publication Munich
Dimensions (cm)8,5 x 14,5 cm
ConditionPerfect condition
TechniqueCopper print


16.50 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )