Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art
Carte du Transvaal Montrant l’enplacement des Fermes appartenant a la Transvaal Consolidated Land et exploration Company Limitet.
|Title||Carte du Transvaal Montrant l’enplacement des Fermes appartenant a la Transvaal Consolidated Land et exploration Company Limitet.|
Decorative and very rare map of Pretoria, former Transvaal. The map depicts all mines where it has been found coal, copper, iron, nickel, silver and gold.
The Province of the Transvaal was a province of South Africa from 1910 until the end of apartheid in 1994, when a new constitution subdivided it. The name "Transvaal" refers to the province's geographical location to the north of the Vaal River. Its capital was Pretoria, which was also the country's administrative capital, while its largest city was Johannesburg.In 1910, four British colonies united to form the Union of South Africa. The Transvaal Colony, which had been formed out of the bulk of the old South African Republic after the Second Boer War, became the Transvaal Province in the new union. Half a century later, in 1961, the union ceased to be part of the Commonwealth of Nations and became the Republic of South Africa. The PWV (Pretoria-Witwatersrand-Vereeniging) conurbation in the Transvaal, centered around Pretoria and Johannesburg, became South Africa's economic powerhouse, a position it still holds today as Gauteng province.
|Place of Publication||Paris|
|Dimensions (cm)||48,5 x 49|
|Condition||Mounted, missing part replaced|
( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )