Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art

Bonn.

  • Translation

Article ID EUD3280
Artist Foltz (1805-1877)
Philipp von Foltz was the son of the painter Ludwig Foltz. At the age of 20, in 1825, he moved to Munich and became director of the royal academy of art.
Title Bonn.
Year ca. 1850
Description Very decorative view of the city Bonn.
In 1989 Bonn celebrated its 2000th birthday. The city thus commemorated the establishment of the first fortified Roman camp on the Rhine in 12 BC, after the Roman governor Agrippa had already settled Ubians on the site in 38 BC. However, people lived in the area of today's city much earlier. The 14,000-year-old double grave of Oberkassel as well as a ditch and wooden palisades, which were proven in the area of the Venusberg and date back to the time around 4080 BC, bear witness to this. The end of the Roman Empire was accompanied by the decline of Bonn in late antiquity and the early Middle Ages. During the raids of the Vikings in the Rhineland, Bonn was twice burned in 882, and in 883 the city, which had just been rebuilt, was attacked, burned and plundered a second time by the Normans. In Frankish times and finally in the 9th and 10th centuries, a spiritual center, the Villa Basilica, developed in the area of Bonn Cathedral and a market settlement in the area of today's market. The outcome of the Battle of Worringen in 1288 was of great importance for the further development of the city. The Cologne Electors made Bonn - along with Brühl and Poppelsdorf - one of their residences and eventually their residence. The magnificent palaces built by the electors in the 17th and 18th centuries gave the city its baroque splendor. This era ended with the occupation by French troops in 1794. Almost two decades of occupation by Napoleon's troops followed. After the defeats of the French army in Russia (1812) and at the Battle of Leipzig, the French evacuated Bonn in January 1814. In the course of the decisions of the Congress of Vienna, Bonn fell to Prussia in 1815, and the city was shaped by the newly founded university. The founder and name giver was King Frederick William III of Prussia. At the end of the 18th century there had been a university in Bonn, which was closed with the French occupation in 1794. The Prussian re-foundation did not follow on from the university from electoral times, but was part of a foundation program that included the Friedrich Wilhelm University in Berlin and the Silesian Friedrich Wilhelm University in Breslau. The addition of Rheinische in the name of the Bonn university was intended to identify it as a sister of the Berlin and Breslau universities. Many sons of high noble families preferred to study at that university in the 19th century. The Prussians also made Bonn a garrison city. In the course of this, Bonn also became popular as a place of retirement for military personnel. Tourism also received after the foundation of the German Reich in 1871 in the course of the "Rhine Romanticism".
Place of Publication Mainz
Dimensions (cm)16,5 x 23
ConditionPerfect condition
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueSteel engraving

Reproduction:

42.00 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )