Baye de Matavai a Otahiti / Havre d’Owharre dans L’isle d’Huaheine

Article ID OZ0470

Title

Baye de Matavai a Otahiti / Havre d’Owharre dans L’isle d’Huaheine

Description

Map shows Matavai Bay on Tahiti and a bay of Huahine. The islands are located in the southern Pacific and belong to the Society Islands.

Year

ca. 1800

Artist

Bernard

Historical Description

Records of the Society Islands begin when Ferdinand Magellan discovers the Tuamotu Archipelago in 1521. In June 1767, the archipelago is discovered and recorded by Samuel Wallis. The latter named the main island, today's Tahiti, after the client and sponsor of his circumnavigation. From then on, the island was called King George Island. In April 1768, Louis Antoine de Bougainville reached the Society Islands, unaware that he was encountering a group of islands that had already been discovered. The islands were reliably mapped in 1777 by James Cook, who named the archipelago "Society" because of the arrangement of the islands into a "society". Colonization by France began in 1843, when the Society Islands first became a French protectorate and then a French colony in 1880.

Dimensions (cm)21,5 x 15 cm
ConditionPerfect condition
Coloringcolored
TechniqueCopper print

Reproduction:

13.50 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )