Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art

A Sketch of a Journey from Zhe-Hol in Tartary by land to Pekin and from thence by water to Hang-Tchoo-Foo in China.

  • Translation

Article ID ASC1272
Artist Straunton (1737-1801)
George Leonard Staunton, Lemuel Francis Abbott, circa 1785. Sir George Leonard Staunton, 1st Baronet (1737-1801) was a traveler, doctor and diplomat serving Britain. On Macartney's legation trip to China (1792 to 1794), Staunton accompanied him as secretary of the legation and at the same time received the title of extraordinary envoy and empowered minister. On this trip, he observed the Chinese custom to give tea an orange flavor, later referred to as Earl Gray. Today Earl Gray is provided with bergamot. In 1793, Staunton was named Secretary to the British mission to the Chinese Imperial court. This diplomatic and trade mission would be headed by Lord Macartney. Although the Macartney Embassy returned to London without obtaining any concession from China, the mission could have been termed a success because it brought back detailed observations. Staunton was charged with producing the official account of the expedition after their return. It was published 1797 under the title An Authentic Account of an Embassy from the King of Great Britain to the Emperor of China. This multi-volume work was taken chiefly from the papers of Lord Macartney and from the papers of Sir Erasmus Gower, who was Commander of the expedition. Sir Joseph Banks, the President of the Royal Society, was responsible for selecting and arranging engraving of the illustrations in this official record
Title A Sketch of a Journey from Zhe-Hol in Tartary by land to Pekin and from thence by water to Hang-Tchoo-Foo in China.
Year c. 1796
Description Map shows the Chinese provinces Pe-Tche-Lee with Beijing, Shan-Tung with Tong-Tchang-Foo and Kiang-Nan with Hoin-Gan-Foo, Nan-Kin and Sou-Tchoo-Foo.
By the 15th century, Beijing had essentially taken its current shape. The Ming city wall continued to serve until modern times, when it was pulled down and the 2nd Ring Road was built in its place. It is generally believed that Beijing was the largest city in the world for most of the 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries.The first known church was constructed by Catholics in 1652 at the former site of Matteo Ricci's chapel; the modern Nantang Cathedral was later built upon the same site. The capture of Beijing by Li Zicheng's peasant army in 1644 ended the dynasty, but he and his Shun court abandoned the city without a fight when the Manchu army of Prince Dorgon arrived 40 days later. The Forbidden City was the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming dynasty to the end of the Qing dynasty( the years 1420 to 1912). It is located in the center of Beijing, China, and now houses the Palace Museum. When Hongwu Emperor's son Zhu Di became the Yongle Emperor, he moved the capital from Nanjing to Beijing, and construction began in 1406 on what would become the Forbidden City. Construction lasted 14 years and required more than a million workers. It served as the home of emperors and their households as well as the ceremonial and political center of Chinese government for almost 500 years. The palace complex exemplifies traditional Chinese palatial architecture, and has influenced cultural and architectural developments in East Asia and elsewhere. Since 1925 the Forbidden City has been under the charge of the Palace Museum, whose extensive collection of artwork and artifacts were built upon the imperial collections of the Ming and Qing dynasties.
Place of Publication London
Dimensions (cm)64 x 45 cm
ConditionRestoration at centerfold
Coloringoriginal colored
TechniqueSteel engraving

Reproduction:

78.00 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )