Adina Sommer`s Rare Antique Maps and Contemporary Art

A View of Pule Pinang or Prince of Wales Island

  • Translation

Original:

15,000.00 €

Enquiry

Article ID ASS1253
Artist Anonymus
Title A View of Pule Pinang or Prince of Wales Island
Year ca. 1790
Description Only known copy of this view, showing the Prince of Wales Island, or Pooloo Pinang, which is now known simply as Penang. The British flag was raised there on 11th Aug 1786 by Capt. Francis Light. Light had married the King of Quedah's daughter, and the island was her dowry. Their son, William, was the founder of the Australian city of Adelaide, and their daughter married Col. James Walsh, author of Military Reminiscences (1830). All the dedicatees within this work were Fellows of the Royal Society. George Town, the capital city of the Malaysian state of Penang, is located at the north-eastern tip of Penang Island. Established as an entrepôt by Francis Light of the British East India Company in 1786, George Town was the first British settlement in Southeast Asia. Together with Singapore and Malacca, George Town formed part of the Straits Settlements, which became a British crown colony in 1867. Shortly before Malaya attained independence from the British in 1957, George Town was declared a city by Queen Elizabeth II, making it the first city in the country's modern history.
Dimensions (cm)30,5 x 46,5 cm
ConditionMargins extended
Coloringblack/white
TechniqueInk drawing

Reproduction:

2,250.00 €

( A reproduction can be ordered individually on request. )